The ‘castle’ of Vignoni, dominating the Val d’Orcia, in the year 1000 was among the possessions of the Abbey of Sant’Antimo, to whose authority it was reconfirmed in 1051 by Henry III.
Around 1170 the Tignosi Counts of Tintinnano took control. In 1362 the Sienese and Montalcino allies destroyed the castle with the baths of Vignoni, then under the rule of the Salimbeni.
The Cassero tower was later rebuilt by the Sienese in 1339 with rents from Montalcino. In 1409 it passed with other castles back to Atonia di Cocco Salimbeni, wife of Attendolo Sforza da Cotignola. Later, the castle became the possession of the Amerighi counts, from whom it passed to the Chigi marquises.
Its Romanesque-style canonical church depended on the vanished Romanesque Pieve del bagno di Vignoni.
Vignoni with its splendid isolation is a true oasis of peace and tranquility.